RE: Lena from Palestina

Hi, Itzik!

As you probably already know, the chorus ("Lena is the queen of Palestina")
can be found as part of the klezmer tune Nokh a bisl (recorded by Elenkrig's
Orchestra and accordionist Mishka Ziganoff). There is also a rendition by
Simon Paskal in Yiddish (accredited to Louis Gilrod), and I seem to recall
at least one other version.

Apparently this tune is originally called Colea in gradinita (thanks to
Martin Schwartz), a Romanian song composed by Narcissi Ludovic Daus, with
known recordings in Romanian and Greek. YIVO has a Romanian version by S.
Bernardo.

Whew!

Mr. Lorin Sklamberg, Sound Archivist
YIVO Institute for Jewish Research