chanukah music

With the holiday only a couple of weeks away, I have made a collection
of comments from years past about Chanuka Music from this list, on the
KlezmerShack:

http://www.klezmershack.com/articles/jm-l/chanuka.html

I'm hoping that there will be new ideas to add from this year--a favorite,
or looked-for recording, or a new recommendation of an old one--that can
be included on the list.

To get things going, I have just had a first listen to a delightful recording
sent to me a few months ago, "The Golden Dreydl" that matches Shirim Klezmer
Orchestra's "Klezmer Nutcracker" with a delightful story written by author and
radio host (Sound and Spirit) Ellen Kushner. This is a very, very nice Chanuka
story--I'm hoping to try it out on neighborhood kids this holiday to see how
they react. But it seems to be a great story about Chanuka as kids would
experience it today, and Jewish legend (with a fair smattering of general
legend that isn't specifically Jewish). The heroine of the story ... well,
you'll have to listen to find out her adventures saving the Golden Dreydl.

The Golden Dreydl: A Klezmer Nutcracker for Chanukah, with Ellen Kushner and
the Shirim Klezmer Orchestra, (c) 2000 WGBH Educational Foundation. $20, from
"The Golden Dreydl, WGBH Radio, 125 Western Ave., Boston, MA 02134.

There is a performance forthcoming this next Sunday (Dec. 1? Dec. 2?), I
believe, at the Newton Jewish Community Center, near Boston.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/