Klez Kamp 17

LIVING TRADITIONS ANNOUNCES ITS 17TH ANNUAL KLEZKAMP

Living Traditions announces its 17th annual "KlezKamp: The Yiddish
Folk Arts Program" to be held December 23-28 at the Hilton at Cherry
Hill in Cherry Hill, New Jersey.
The theme "The Yiddish Media: On the Page, On the Stage and On the
Air" celebrates the contributions made by pioneers in Yiddish
journalism, broadcasting, film and publishing. Among the lecturers
will be Samuel Norich, chairman of the Board of the Forward
Association, on the history of the Forward, the world's most
successful Yiddish newspaper, Eric Goldman, on the Jewish cinema, and
KlezKamp founder and director Henry Sapoznik on the rise and fall of
Yiddish radio.

Our famed music staff of over 35 teachers includes singer Adrienne
Cooper, Klezmatic's fiddler Alicia Svigals, clarinetist Margot
Leverett, Klezmer Conservatory Band's Jim Guttmann and Philly area
drumming legend Elaine Hoffman-Watts.
We will also be honoring our "Yiddish Living Treasures" with
"Meetings with Our Masters" a unique opportunity to study with the
great veteran exponents of Yiddish culture. They include theater
artists David Rogow, Lillian Lux, Mina Bern and Shifra Lehrer,
clarinetists Howie Leess, Danny Rubinstein and Paul Pincus, drummer
Julie Epstein (last of the famed Epstein Brothers), pianist Pete
Sokolow and actor/choreographer Felix Fibich.
This, in addition to a full schedule of instrumental and vocal music
programs, literature, three levels of Yiddish, visual arts, cooking
seminars, our renowned KlezKids and KlezTeens programs plus a new
commuter option for local residents.

Evening programs -- many of which are open to the public -- include
our popular staff concert, a "Meeting With Our Masters" special
discussion and concert/dance party featuring great veteran klezmer
musicians of the1940s, and a World Premier of a documentary from "The
Yiddish Radio Project" a multi-part series on the history of Yiddish
radio which will air on National Public Radio's "All Things
Considered" in Spring 2002. That,  plus concerts, klezmer jam
sessions, sing-a-longs, and dancing to live music.
The Hilton at Cherry Hill is a modern, full service conference center
located just minutes from Philadelphia airport and less than 90
minutes from midtown Manhattan. It features comfortable class
settings and beautiful plush bedrooms and a new outstanding kosher
menu by famed Hilton executive chef Darius Peacock under the
rabbinical supervision of Star K Tri-State Chabad.

KlezKamp, the world's leading Yiddish cultural event, brings together
the finest exponents of traditional Ashkenazic music and folk arts in
an innovative, exciting and challenging environment. KlezKamp
combines old-fashioned intergenerational mentoring and
apprenticeships with innovative and cutting edge presentations to
create a vibrant and relevant context for Jewish cultural continuity.
Since1985 over 10,000 participants from around the world have come to
study and share this unique cultural experience.

For additional information write: klezkamp (at) aol(dot)com or check our
website at http://www.klezkamp.org.

--
Dan Peck    Milesquare Associates  Living Traditions
Co-Author of Filemaker 5  Advanced: Visual Quick Pro Guide (Peachpit Press)

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->