Re: early 78's on tape or cd

on 10/15/01 10:19 AM, Joel Bresler at jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com
wrote:

> Tarras, Dave    Yiddish-American Klezmer Music 1925-1956        Yazoo   7001
> Various Klezmer Pioneers: European and American Recordings,
> 1905-1952   Rounder CD 1089
> Various Yikhes, Frühe Klezmer-Aufnahmen von 1907-1939   Trikont US-0179
> Schwartz, Martin, ed.   Klezmer Music   Arhoolie        7034
> Various Klezmer Music 1910-1942 Global Village  C104
>
> I think Global Village has a number of other releases as well.

> At 12:32 AM 10/15/01 -0400, Yakov Chodosh wrote:
>
>> i am on a quest to find some early klezmer 78's in a form I can listen to.
>> tape or cd. sound quality, "remastering" is a nonissue. i just want to
>> hear it! can anyone help me with this?

Rounder released a Naftule Brandwein CD that is well worth having, there's a
number of reissues on Global Village, like Abe Schwartz, etc. Also you
should contact Kurt Bjorling, he sells a set of tapes that he made of
vintage klezmer 78s that aren't available commercially. There's some truly
excellent stuff on those tapes! Belfs' Orchestra is highly recommended.

Seth

--
Seth Austen

http://www.sethausten.com