Info about the song, Those were the days

      Dear Chaverim:
          I am looking to find any information on the song, THOSE WERE THE
DAYS. It was recorded by Mary Hopkin in the 1970s. My director is interested
in using it for a play. Her info. says that it is a Russian song from the
1800s. My info says that it is actually a Lithuanian song with an older
Russian melody from the 1920s. The reason why I'm asking people on the List,
is that I remember when it came out in the 1970s, my Dad, who spoke some
Lithuanian, Russian and Yiddish said: that's an old Yiddish Music Hall tune!
          Any ideas??? Also, I am very new to music research, can anyone
suggest where I might be able to find info on the sheet music and the
copyright, etc??? As well as the origin??? I check sheetmusicworld.com and
the Olga Index. All I know so far is that the English lyrics were by Gene
Raskin and it was arranged by James Morgan.
          Thanks a whole, whole bunch!!!
           Trudi the G