Re: The Fate of WEVD-partisan opinion

There are a couple of other issues here. While you are right, that the
bulk of programming on WEVD isn't terribly great, it does have unique
programs that my parents, long-time WEVD listeners, love, like Bill
Mazur's talk show (which is not all sports, by the way.)  WEVD is also one
of the last (if the not the last) independently owned, commercial radio
stations in the New York city market. This is increasingly significant in
a radio landscape whose very nature is totally controlled by a handful of
decision makers (i.e.- programmers for conglomerates like Clear Channel).
Choice and variety, however unsexy, are always good things- democratic
things. Consolidation of information, I dare say, is almost never.

And, of course, there is the just plain insulting fact that what was once
a beloved, community oriented station is being given over not just to an
all sports format, but will become NYC's THIRD all sports format radio
station.

And finally, there is the arrogance exhibited throughout the entire
process by the leadership of the Forward Association by refusing to
discuss the possibility of the sale and and not even bothering to try to
release any kind of positive spin about what their plans might be for this
windfall of money. Perhaps there is a reason the Forward loses money. Why
should one vehicle necessarily be sacrificed for another?

I was at the savewevd rally in June in front of the Forward building and
the management's response to the protest? Send down free copies of their
paper.

-Rokhl

"Mark H. David" wrote:

> I must be missing something, but what shows does anyone
> care about besides the Forverts Sho?  Most were either
> nationally syndicated or radio-infomercials. For a few hundred
> a week, the Forverts Sho can rent space on some other
> station.  Is there a problem with the Forverts newspapers
> getting many millions of dollars to survive, and maybe help
> the Forverts Sho survive, too?
>
> ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->