Re: The Fate of WEVD

>The station which once contested its license suspension by the FCC noting
>that "WEVD must survive as the one place where Capitalism cannot lay its
>brutal paw..." and would not be reporting "...the results of polo matches"
>will now be the flagship of the nation's major sports network run by a huge
>conglomerate corporation.
>How the irony  gods must be laughing.....
>
>Henry Sapoznik

The double whammy is that somehow the ordinary citizen keeps getting his
broadcast frequencies hijacked. In a previous era, when the FCC threatened to
rescind licenses on the basis of lewd or controversial content, or the Congress
would bust up Rock n' Roll and independent labels with the Payola scandal, the
airwaves were regulated on behalf of large corporate interests and a
conservative moral mind set. Nowadays, our new FCC chairman Michael Powell
believes in no government regulation. That's fine, except most of the broadcast
media is falling into the hands of powerful corporate interests--who will
inevitably be cramming watered-down news and more insipid, banal
"entertainment" down our throats.

Even more disturbing, just a few months ago the Congress effectively killed
recommendations for more low-level radio frequencies that were initiated by the
former FCC chairman, Michael[?] Kennard.  These measures were highly supported
by grass-roots religious organizations as well as musicians by numerous
petitions.

I don't need to tell members of this list how many great musicians there are
out there who never get their work broadcast over the radio. Meanwhile, the
endless stream of vulgarity and dribble that passes for "music" keeps getting
played over the people's airwaves.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Eliott Kahn