From: "Gifford, Paul" <pgifford (at) umflint(dot)edu>
To: "World music from a Jewish slant" <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 12:02 PM
Subject: RE: pronunciations

Robert Cohen [mailto:rlcm17 (at) hotmail(dot)com] wrote:

1) the Israeli composer Oedoen Partos, whose name is sometimes rendered
Oedeon Partos--aside from which is the correct spelling of his first name,
how do you pronounce it?

I'm not familiar with him, but I do know that is a Hungarian name
(equivalent to the German "Otto"), with short umlauts (as opposed to the
long umlauts in Hungarian), so pronounce it as "ödön," as it would be in
German. Incidentally, I have seen "ödön" anglicized to "Edmund."  I would
assume the last name is pronounced "partosh."

2) the Moldavian klezmer Avram Buchici, referred to in the liner notes
(track #18) of the Khevrisa "classical klezmer" CD so justly celebrated on
this list--how do you pronounce his last name?

I think the name is "Bughici"----in Romanian, an 'h' is added to a 'c' or
'g' before a front vowel (i, e) to make it "hard," so it's 'boo-geetch".
The final 'i' isn't pronounced; it's there to indicate that the 'c' is
pronounced 'ch.'

Paul Gifford