RE: Victoria Hazan CD, Todas Mis Esperansas

I love it! Discographic research using the SSDB!

For anyone interested, these artists are all well represented on
Traditional Crossroads re-releases. Melkon has a CD of his own, and the
whole crew, I believe, has a hand in the CD "Armenians on 8th Avenue" on
the same label. According to Amazon, those song titles and artists are:

1. Seker Oglan - Melkon, Marko
2. Mavilim - Bakirgian, Kanuni G
3. Dokumaci Kiz - Melkon, Marko
4. Ninni - Araradian, Madlen
5. Nazli Guzel Bebecigim - Bakirgian, Kanuni G
6. Adalar - Bakirgian, Kanuni G
7. Sava Taksim - Sedefjian, Nishan
8. Galatada Todaraki - Melkon, Marko
9. Yandim Tokat Yandim - Vartanian, "Sugar M
10. Surmelim Gozlerine - Bakirgian, Kanuni G
11. Aman Memo - Bakirgian, Kanuni G
12. Vurma Avci Kalbim Yarali - Melkon, Marko
13. Elmas Yuzuk Parmakta - Vartanian, "Sugar M
14. Huzzam Taksim - Bakirgian, Kanuni G
15. Deveci - Bakirgian, Kanuni G
16. Sut Ictim Dilim Yandi - Araradian, Madlen
17. Cifte Telli - Pappas, John
18. Ninno Yavrum - Bakirgian, Kanuni G
19. Su Dere Bastan Basa - Melkon, Marko
20. Rast Taksim - Melkon, Marko
21. Raki Icer Gezerim - Melkon, Marko
22. Guvende Oyun Havasi - Bakirgian, Kanuni G

Shabbat shalom,

Joel

At 09:19 AM 7/20/01 -0400, Gifford, Paul wrote:

>Joel Bresler [mailto:jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com] wrote:
>
>The violinist is (I believe) Nishan Sedefchian, not Wishan Sedefchian, the
>oud player is Marko Melkon, not Malko Malkon, the kanun player is (I
>believe) Garbis Bakirgian, not Garbis Bakiorjian
>
>Just out of curiosity (as I have several '40s and '50s records by these
>people), I looked them up on the Social Security Death Benefits Index (at
>http://www.ancestry.com). I was glad to learn Kanuni Garbis's last name.
>This index shows Garbis Bakirgian, born 20 Feb. 1884, died April 1969, a
>resident of San Fernando, California, at his death. It also shows Melkon
>Alemsherian (Marko Melkon's real name, according to his Decca LP), as born
>2 May 1890, died April 1963, a resident of New York at his death. Melkon
>originally registered in Michigan, so apparently he lived in Detroit in
>the late '30s.  Sedefchian (or Sedefjian, as I have it on the 78s) doesn't
>show up.
>
>Paul Gifford
>Joel Bresler
>250 E. Emerson Rd.
>Lexington, MA 02420 USA
>
>Home Office:    781-862-4104
>FAX:            781-862-0498
>Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->