Victoria Hazan CD, Todas Mis Esperansas

Chaverim:

I've now received a copy of the CD, thanks to Simon.
(www.hatikvahmusic.com) The good news: It is a truly important recording.
To my knowledge, the only previous release of Sephardic 78s on CD included
a CD with one Haim Effendi song, and another CD with one song of Hazan
herself (Un anio ay) and two Algazi songs. These two CDs were fairly
obscure European releases and I believe both are now out of print. (There
is also an invaluable two-cassette set from Renanot of Isaac Algazi, with
32 songs.) This current Hazan disk includes 10 songs in Ladino, her
complete recorded output in the genre.

The bad news: there is no booklet, and the sparse information given is full
of errors. Buyers will long for the sort of care that Traditional
Crossroads or Rounder Records puts into their 78 re-releases. For those
that get the recording, the two corrected Ladino correct titles are below.
Carol Freeman also corrected the only Greek song on the recording. We will
try to get title corrections for the 13 Turkish cuts and post that up, too.
The violinist is (I believe) Nishan Sedefchian, not Wishan Sedefchian, the
oud player is Marko Melkon, not Malko Malkon, the kanun player is (I
believe) Garbis Bakirgian, not Garbis Bakiorjian

If anyone can contribute song lyrics in the original languages or in
English translation, as well as more biographical information on the
artist, that would be welcome. I'll find a home for the information
somewhere on the web. Sra. Hazan deserves that much!

Best,

Joel

1. Me Kemi Y Me Enflami (corrected)
2. No Riygas con mi (corrected)
17. Omorfo Mon Hariklaki (corrected)

Joel Bresler
250 E. Emerson Rd.
Lexington, MA 02420 USA

Home Office:    781-862-4104
FAX:            781-862-0498
Email:          jbresler (at) ma(dot)ultranet(dot)com