Re: Kol Nidre

  Lenka,

I'm not going to suggest a recording--there are many wonderful ones.
Listen to many of them. But what I will suggest is that even if you
can't read Hebrew, get a word for word translation/transliteration of
the text and be able to know what you are singing throughout.  When
you practice, concentrate on the meaning of every word and every
phrase and the historical context in which this prayer was written so
that you can interpret it emotionally in your singing.  Remember that
you are representing the congregation as you sing. All their hopes
and sorrows must be expressed by your voice.  It will be different
from what is expressed by the khazn who's recording you listen to 100
times a day.

You can do it.  Go for it!!

Zayt gezunt (be healthy),

Yosl (Joe) Kurland