Re: large instrument transportation

I don?t exactly know the current protocol for large instruments but I assume
that, since I?m no longer a just a flutist, I?ll need to know all the info as
well sometime in the near future. But, I can tell you that I literally
watched a cello - in a hard case - get separately loaded onto the plane. It
was horrifyingly comical, if such an oxymoron can be used. The cello was
being driven on top of a truck, on top of other items, not seemingly all
luggage but ski equipment, etc., but literally swiveling in its position on
the truck. The truck was going VERY fast and making quick turns, almost like
an amusement ride, nearly knocking the cello off the cart or truck. I
remember many of us screaming from the inside of the glassed in area. Bottom
line is, as you?ve probably seen on behind-the-scenes ?20/20? or 60 minutes
or something, things are rarely handled with any kind of care and you can
pretty much expect the worst. I believe the common way of securing your
instrument is to carry it on either by purchasing a seat or having them take
it into the ?closet? in the cabin. At least you can see it. If the cello has
very little monetary value then maybe damage caused by mishandling could more
than pay for a better cello? Do remember that it will have to be loaded on
top of the scanning table and that, unless you speak up, they?ll start
unzipping the case or whatever and not have much concern for its well-being;
they?re concerned with hidden items or whatever, so careful handling is
rarely their issue...
?happy? flying...
adrianne