Re: Har Nof women's conservatory

It's a shame that there can't be a 100% focus on the
music without the distractions of worrying about these
other non-musical issues.

It says in the article:

At the conservatory, religious restrictions are not
seen as obstacles to artistic expression. Ballet
teacher Minah Nahmani, who also teaches at the Rubin
Academy of Music and Dance in Jerusalem, said that the
girls' modesty brings a new dimension of grace to
their dancing: "Their high level of awareness of their
bodies allows them to know what to express outwardly
and what to keep inside. It is expression through
hiding."

Is one supposed to infer that covering up one's body
or resticting what one listens to (kol isha) enhances
awareness?  I find that to be hard to believe.  The
reverse is probably true.

--- Judith R Cohen <judithc (at) YorkU(dot)CA> wrote:
> hi, check this out in Ha-aretz:
>
> http://www3.haaretz.co.il/eng/htmls/kat28_2.htm
>
> Interesting write-up of an Orthodox women's music
> conservatory -
> comments by the ballet teacher about how the women
> and girl's "natural
> modesty"gives them more grace, "expression through
> hiding".... and how
> hard it is to design a ballet costume which allows
> for both modesty and
> freedom of movement. Judith
>
> ---------------------- jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->