Re: Yiddish Theater

Bob - Just caught this three-week old thread, but thought I'd add my tzvey
kopecks.
Unlike klezmer, there really isn't any comprehensive or scholarly reissue of
Yiddish Theater recordings.  It would be nice if there were such a thing;
instead it's still more on the K-tel Presents... sort of level, since these
performers were pop-stars in their day and much of the audience simply wants
a reminder of the icons of their childhoods - younger revivalists have mostly
ignored this stuff.  It's quite bewildering to sort through the Greater and
Banner catalogs, but they're still the best things out there.  Simon can tell
you what to get, but I would start with Molly Picon, Maurice Schwartz, Aaron
Lebedoff, Jenny Goldstein, Peysekhe Burstein, and Seymour Rechzeit.  And
maybe someone has a technology that will get rid of the cheap slap-echo.
-Hankus