Ein Keloheinu

Since this topic came up, and my version of Ein Keloheinu was mentioned -  I
thought I'd share something personal.

It was precisely the "German drinking song"  Ein Keloheinu that jump-started my
desire to compose Jewish Liturgical music, and in fact the first thing I wrote.
Growing up as a secular Israeli, I knew very little about the "practice" of
Judaism -  Synagogue life, the chanting and singing of prayers - it was all new
to me when I first joined a synagogue.  Two things caught my attention - the
beauty and poetry of many of the prayers, and how the melodies we sang
interacted with the texts.

I hope I'm not offending anyone ( as I often do, it seems :-) but that German
drinking song really got on my nerves.  I found it to be heavy, "militant", not
relevant to the spirit of the poem, and "not Jewish"!  (That of course can
re-kindle the "what is Jewish music"debate, but never mind...)  I wanted to
come up with a tune that sounded like it's always been around. In a minor key,
without a "personal" signature.  Just a folksy tune that could have been sung
by Hassidim 150 years ago.

That was my only intention, and I never thought it would end up changing my
life.

Shirona
* * *  Singer / Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music * * *
          www.shirona.com

          Listen to Shirona's music on:
          www.mp3.com/shirona