Ein Keloheinu

Ein Keloheinu  has always had a special place in our hearts because in our
synagogue (Conservative), at the end of every service, all the kids go on the
bima and sing it together (probably the German derived tune).  I have a
daughter who is differently abled; she has Down syndrome.  Since the time she
could utter a sound, the one thing she has always been able to do, is join
everyone on the bima for Ein Keloheinu.  No she doesn't sing in tune, and at
times our ears were somewhat overwhelmed (until she learned to use her indoor
voice).  However, Shabbat is not Shabbat without Rita on the bima belting out
Ein Keloheinu.  She was so inspired by this that 2 years ago she asked to study
Hebrew and this September, she and I became Bat Mitzvahs together.  Now she
still runs up to the bima, even though theoretically she is no longer a child,
and leads the Ein Keloheinu  chorus.

I can really identify with Robert's earlier posting about the song re: making
the best of what you've got.  I also like the folk tune  that goes:
All of God's critters got a place in the choir
Some sing low and others sing highter,
Some strum out a tune on the telephone wire,
And some just clap their hands.

Helen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->