Re: borrowed music

Joel Bresler wrote:
> Roger Reid wrote:
> >At that time,
> (early 12th Century)
> >Christians knew no Hebrew and Jews knew no Gregorian Chant.
>
> This seems a pretty broad statement. Can any other listers weigh in on
> whether this were indeed the case?

My source for that statement, specifically to the early 1100's CE,
was Rabbi Jerry Schwartzbart, the curator/conservator/librarian
at the JTS Rare Book Room
who was showing us this particular doument, as well as some other
remarkable items (such as a shaila to a regional rabbi from a local
community about a situation which was answered by the Rambam.  You
get a chill sitting there looking at a piece of paper with Maimonedes
signature.

He noted that later Hebrew was considered a needed skill in the Church,
and in fact we saw the evidence in a Hebrew sefer of Tehillim from
the late 1500's, with commentary on a certain psalm that explained
why Jesus could not have been the messiah.  The Church censor who
lined it out signed his name to the "approved" version with heresy
removed.  However, the ink he used to line out the "heresy" didn't
last as well as the ink used to print the book, which is why we know
what was removed.

Rabbi Schwartzbart is in the business of knowing this kind of stuff
because he needs to understand things in historical context.  He
most cenrtainly did NOT say thet Church scholars never knew Hebrew,
just that they did not know it at that point in time.

--
r l reid        ro (at) panix(dot)com