What is Jewish dance?

It is interesting to follow the discussion on defining Jewish music as the same
questions come up when trying to define Jewish dance.

Here are some examples.

The Bulgar--This dance was once viewed as the major Jewish dance among Jewish
immigrants to the US.  When you look at the history though, it's a pan-Balkan
dance, done by both Jews and non Jews.  A Ukrainian dance researcher I know,
calls such dances "shared experience dances."

Early Israeli folk dances--In the early years of the establishment of Israel,
the old Eastern European dances which were considered to be Jewish dances in
Europe,  were rejected.  They were viewed as representative of life in the
diaspora and too much like the way the non-Jewish community danced.  The need
to have our own dances was articulated--thus the New Israeli Folk Dance was
created.  However, I have an article that indicates that the early Israeli
dances were heavily influenced by a German dance form called the Jugendtanz.
This was part of the Wandervogel movement.  From what I have found (and maybe
some of you know more about this), the Wandervogel were youthful, German
intelligentsia who rebelled against the establishment by spending their free
time barefoot hiking in the mountains, returning to nature and rejecting urban
life.  Jugendtanz aimed to "dance barefooted, open hair and free clothing,
close to the land, under open skies to the accompanyment of recorders and
voice."  According to the article, the Jewish counterpart to the Wandervogel
was the Blau Weiss Bund which had a role in preparing the chalutzim, among them
Gurit Kadman and Rivka Sturman, now known as Israeli folk dance pioneers.  The
Blau Weiss Bund chose to adopt the Jugendtanz dance style which then migrated
to Israel and influenced the early Israeli dances(Viltis Vol 49 No 5 January
1991).  If this article is correct, it appears that we exchanged one European
dance style for another and decided that one was more Jewish than the other.
I'd be interested in learning more about this topic if anyone has further
references or information.

Then we have the case of the Miserlou which we've reviewed before.  You can
sometimes find it  on compilation albumns of Israeli music and people have
sworn up and down to me that it is an Israeli dance!

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.
Helen

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->