Re: A nice surprise

I had a nice surprise too at Lorele's Shul - Temple Beth El in Cleveland...
the manifestation of an "impossible dream" - an Orthodox EGALITARIAN
synagogue!!!

I'm certainly no expert on these matters, and I'm sure that the experts will
contest the validity or "authenticity" of such an institution...   but to
the best of my understanding, this Synagogue and the service is Orthodox  in
all ways except one - and that is that men and women share everything
equally.

For me it was a spiritual and emotional experience - seeing "frum" women
taking an active and awe inspiring roll in the service, as equal to men and
equal before G-d.  (I was watching the men during the portions where women
were leading, and they  seemed very comfortable. The husbands whose wives
were leading looked very proud.   It was all very natural... "minhag
hamakom".)    Later I spent a good half hour talking with the Rabbi,  Moshe
Adler.  We should all be blessed with such Rabbis - open minded, spiritual,
a man who is in touch with his own conscience - and has the guts to act on
his beliefs.  Even in the face of a hostile "peer environment".

So that's what I did during my Pesach vacation...

Thanks, Lorele,
Shirona

- -
* * *  Singer / Songwriter and Teacher of Jewish Music * * *
          www.shirona.com

          Listen to Shirona's music on:
          www.mp3.com/shirona
-