Re: Bas Sheva/Sheindele

Lori Cahan-Simon <l_cahan (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org>
<mailto:l_cahan (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org> wrote:
  >You know, the more I listen to the tape, the more
  >I'm sure they are the same person.

Maybe she worked for a major metropolitan newspaper... and changed
itdentities in a telephone booth.
Actually, they both were from Philadelphia but they were not the same
person.  I cannot recall Sheindele's voice, but her American name was
Jean Gornish.  She had a radio program for a while, and always appeared
as 'Sheindele di Khaznte'.  Her career was earlier than Bas Sheva's and
to the best of my knowledge she performed only in Jewish venues.   Bas
Sheva's American name was Bernice Kanevsky, daughter of Cantor Yossele
Kanevsky, and she had a broader repertoire and audience, though always
working under her Jewish name.
Cantor Sam Weiss === Jewish Community Center of Paramus, NJ