Re: Re Shevach/Salonika

Well, I don't know that that's at all anomalous on an Orthodox record.  Fact
is, much of the Orthodox world is I think *very* comfortable and at ease
incorporating/integrating contemporary musical styles into their music.
Perhaps because they feel grounded enough Jewishly that they don't feel at
all threatened.

Compare--though this is certainly not the last word on this by any means;
it's not black-and-white--the unease/distaste/disgust with which
non-Orthodox champions of hazzanut react to folk and popular, etc., styles
of rendering liturgy.

--Robert Cohen