RE: G-d un doss kelbl = "Dona, dona"

Christian,

I took responsibility for my mistake and even said that I made it once
before.

>It's also not very productive to make all the other stupid guys
responsible
>for your mistakes. One more time, this list is not a scholar's list. Try
>respect other people, and they will respect you.

Sorry Christian.   Nothing that I wrote implied that if you are not a
scholar, you are stupid.   No, this is not a scholars mailing list, but
people ask scholarly questions all the time.  If this list is to deal with
scholarly questions and hopefully come up with historically correct
answers, then there is no reason in the world why non-scholars should not
learn how to go about getting correct answers.  They can at least learn
what methods to avoid.  Just because something sounds plausible, doesn't
make it true.  There used be many more Yiddish music scholars on this list
two years ago, who decided to unsubscribe because they watched ill-informed
people fiercely argue with scholars, leaving everyone else on the list at a
loss as to which answer was right.  These scholars have refused to
re-subscribe.  Other Yiddish scholars decided not waste time responding
because there are always going to be some uninformed people who will argue
for the undisciplined way of doing things.  If that is not bad enough, if a
scholar takes the trouble to comment on this problem, you get comments like
Christian's saying that this is not a scholars' list.  How is this an
answer?  You have to decide what you want.  You want to reach the correct
answer or you want to have fun hypothesizing from your armchair or argue,
e.g., that standard Yiddish transliteration is unimportant.  It's an either
or question.  I propose to you that learning how to get the right
information is much more efficient and not that much less fun.

Marvin,

If you re-read what I wrote, you will see that I made no comments
whatsoever about people presenting their opinions, layman or otherwise.
 Opinions are opinions and scholars opinion incorrectly all the time.  What
I wrote was that this kind of etymological hypothesizing, saying "this word
sounds like some other word in another language", is usually unproductive.
 It is as unproductive for linguists as it is for laymen.  It's one thing
if you are comparing words of 2 languages in the same or contiguous
geographic territory.  Asking if there is a connection between "dona" and
"adonay" is intriguing, but if you are going to compare Yiddish and Spanish
words, you know you have gone far afield.  It means that it's time to go to
the sources and check all the facts that are already known with certainty.
 I am just very sensitive to it because two graduate students in our
linguistics department used to drive us all crazy overusing this same
method.  Believe me, it isn't one shred less annoying when a scholar does
it.

The other point I was making and would like to continue making is that
there are excellent sources for finding out information about Yiddish
songs, so that no one has to be left to guessing.  Guessing is what we will
have to do 200 years from now, but we are not at that point yet.  The
people who know the answers from the primary sources are still around and
highly accessible.  If this were a question about English or American
music, everyone here would know what to do.  American elementary education
has prepared everyone on how to use basic resources - dictionaries,
encyclopedias, articles, and books.  Using a printed source or asking an
expert has become par course for everyone and is not limited to scholars.
 The same sequence of steps should apply to Yiddish music and I hope
everyone becomes comfortable with them.

Since there is no general encyclopedia of Yiddish music at this time
(although this information would have been found in the Yiddish-language
Encyclopedia of Yiddish Theater), you know to ask your librarian, and the
librarian in this case is YIVO, --online, in person, or by phone.  If it
isn't too complicated, they will look up the information for you, or name a
local book or two for you to check, or else, give you the name of a person
to speak to at YIVO or elsewhere.  The person who knows the answers to all
questions on Yiddish songs is ethnomusicologist Chana/Eleanor Mlotek,
YIVO's music archivist and researcher.  The little historical accounts at
the beginning of each song in her many books are very helpful and reliable.
 If they are not enough, you can write, e-mail, or call her at YIVO or at
the Yiddish Forwards, where she has been writing a music column for 30+
years.   The overwhelming number of people who write to Chana/Eleanor
Mlotek with questions about music at either location are plain folk.  In
fact, her music column in the Forverts consists of her responses to
inquiries from readers around the world. (The other 2 weeks of every month,
the column's focus is on Yiddish poetry or Yiddish writers.)  Everyone is
invited to send in music queries and you don't necessarily need to write in
Yiddish.  If you want to perform Yiddish music, these are the kinds of
basic resource information everyone needs to know about.  As long as Chana
Mlotek is around, use her.   She does work at YIVO part time and I am sorry
I don't have her schedule at hand.  (She wasn't in yesterday and the temp
receptionist said she couldn't get me her schedule.  There is no answer at
her home phone.)  But e-mail works anytime.

YIVO Institute for Jewish Research
The Center for Jewish History
15 West 16th Street
New York, NY 10011-6301
Main Number (212) 246-6080
Fax: (212) 292-1892
General mail: yivomail (at) yivo(dot)cjh(dot)org

Chana Mlotek
Music Archivist (P/T)
(212) 246-6080, ext. 6119
cmlotek (at) yivo(dot)cjh(dot)org

or:
Chana Mlotek
They Yiddish Forverts
45 East 33 Street
New York, NY   10016

Chana is the best source, but there are sources as well.  I will leave that
for another time.

Gut vokh,

Reyzl Kalifowicz-Waletzky