RE: G-d un doss kelbl = "Dona, dona"

I wrote this Friday afternoon and now see that I didn't send it off.
 Thought I did.

 ----------------------------

Since Chana Mlotek is not available, I just spoke to singer/master Yiddish
music teacher Masha Benya to ask a question I have had about this song,
i.e., why did Tsaytlin and Secunda write "dana, dana" as opposed to
something else and how did it become "dona, dona".  Masha confirmed Chana's
printed information, something I would never doubt anyway.  Chana is THE
best of the world's expert on Yiddish music and if she wrote it, you can
believe her.  Masha also told me that she has an original copy of the song
Secunda gave her in the 1940's.  It seems that Ben Yomen may have also
thought that "dana" had something to do with Spanish or Sefardic language
and published it as "Dona".  If he learned the song from a published
source, most probably one that didn't use standard Yiddish orthography, he
may have guessed that the alef needed a komets rather than a pasakh, simply
because the Spanish 'dona' was familiar to him and Polish 'dana' was not.
 These kinds of errors happened all the time before standard Yiddish
orthography became the publishing standard.  Who knows why Ben Yomen
incorrectly attributed the song to Katsenelson.  Tsaytlin and Secunda were
very active in those years and the play Esterke (1940-'41) was very well
received.

Masha Benya said that according to Yiddish actress Rita Karpinovitch, o"h,
'dana, dana' is a common refrain in Polish songs.  (Rita, whose father ran
a Yiddish theater in Vilna, would have known.)  So, no folklorization -- my
question about this song, was involved in its going from 'dana' to 'dona',
just an error with similar kind of guessing method.  'Adonay' sounds
intriguing, but just ain't it.

Reyzl