Re: Yiddish word processing.

At 06:47 AM 2/20/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Geraldine at JMI has suggested that all the Yiddish be in a separate section.
>This would obviate the need for lining up the text in the two languages.
>This is
>a good suggestion, practically speaking, but would it bother anyone on this
>list
>to not have the Yiddish by the transliteration and translation, or would
>that be
>a minor inconvenience.  I am thinking of those people who are new to
>Yiddish, and
>that it would be more helpful to have the Yiddish text by the others, for
>learning purposes.

As a typographer, I note that precedent is for all languages to be together, in
their own columns. This is especially important when one is including
translation and transliteration--my own research has led me to believe that it
is good to have everything together.

But when this is not possible. It is also fair to look at the
English/German/French, say, on albums marketed in Europe, and to note that they
simply run one language after the other.

In the end, you have to arrange the booklet in whatever way you can best
present the material.

ari

Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com
list owner, jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org
the klezmer shack: http://www.klezmershack.com/