Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1816

At 12:11 AM 2/20/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:05:48 -0500
>From: Lori Cahan-Simon <l_cahan (at) staff(dot)chuh(dot)org>
>To: World music from a Jewish slant <jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org>
>Subject: "G-d"/Yiddish word processing
>
>Okay, I need another bit of help.  For those of you who type Yiddish and
>have done so for lyrics on an "album", what program have you used?  I
>haven't found anything easy enough for me to use that has all the
>Yiddish characters needed.  Any suggestions from you wonderful crew?
>
>nokh a mol - a dank,
>Lorele

I use Q-Text, at the suggestion of  the UYIP people.  It is an Israeli word
processor which is set up to handle Yiddish.  It only runs on the PC
platform.  I have had good success transferring the Yiddish into Word, but
generally do most of my Yiddish typing in Q-Text, as it is much easier to
move up and back between Yiddish and English in Q-Text than in Word.  It is
doable in Word, however, I just haven't bothered to figure out how to do it
(i.e., followed the UYIP instructions carefully enough) .

For lyrics, Q-Text doesn't really have a good column function, so I end up
setting up a table, typing the Yiddish in one cell and the English in the
other and then eliminating any border to the cells.  Works just fine.

The real question is what will happen to the text once you've typed it in
Yiddish?  Will you then have to transfer it into a graphics
program.  Hoo-ha!  Different set of problems there.  If your designer is
using Quark, you have an extra step to make your Yiddish work in the lay-out.

Ari's right.  UYIP is the place to ask.

Shira