Re: Kol Isha: Theology and Halakha

I don't understand your posts as denigrating the Conservative movement.  Rather
I understand you to be misunderstanding the Conservative movement.

I never knew Isaac Klein.  Although I too know members of his family I do not
see the relevance of their affiliations.  (I believe that here too you are
referring to the UTJ and not "Orthodox" affiliation.  But I also would not see
the relevance of family members affiliating with the Reform movement, or, for
that matter, another religion.) As far as I know, Isaac Klein never
disassociated with JTS.  Nor did JTS disassociate with him.  In fact, the Guide
to which I referred received a second 1992 copyright from JTS.  In that
edition, the blurb begins, "This volume is a detailed and comprehensive guide
to Jewish practice for home and synagogue written in the spirit of the
Conservative movement.  The compilation is the result of a project conceived in
1960 by Dr. Louis Finkelstein, then Chancellor of The Jewish Theological
Seminary, the purpose of which was to produce authoritative halakhic studies
for the training of conservative rabbis."  In my synagogue, this volume is
given to all b'nai and b'not mitzvah.

I respect David Weiss Halivni ((a former professor at JTS) (and know members of
his family too).  I do not know if he ever sat on the Law Committee, but I am
confident that he never played an administrative role or a role as a
spokesperson for the Conservative movement (as Joel Roth did and does).

The book (Conservative Judaism) by Neil Gillman (a current JTS associate
professor) from which I quoted bears a 1993 copyright.  I believe that he would
have written the same words today.

As I pointed out, with examples, it is not true about the Conservative movement
that "it has to do what it's [sic] constituents think right."  I don't know of
polling to determine what Conservative Jews think, but if you read Conservative
responsa I repeat that I do not think you would find reference to what its
"constituents think right" and that many of the positions of Conservative
Judaism are not popular ones.  To expand on my prior comments, Klein's work
devotes separate chapters to Tohorat Hamishpahah and The Miqweh.  However, it
is true that there is no mention in its index of Kol Ishah.  I do not know when
that issue whether/when that issue was formally resolved by Conservative
Judaism.  I would guess that occurred during consideration of the mehitzah, but
perhaps a more learned list member can fill us in.

(Baby bath time.)

Bob