Re: Klezmer "bootlegs"?

In a message dated 1/28/1 7:47:40 AM, horowitz (at) styria(dot)com writes:

<<
Regarding Brian and Yakov's comments on bootlegging:

Since a musician's income is derived from the very limited spheres of
performing, teaching and from a small amount of recording sales, I have a
great idea, which I'm sure you will greet enthusiastically:

Thank you Josh for taking on a very troubling issue.
The idea that copying a recording only "promotes" the artist so that others
are exposed to them is like going to the most expensive restaurant in town
and telling the owner, "If you let me eat here for free whenever I want, then
promise not to eat anywhere else".

What convoluted logic would make anyone think that a musician should work for
nothing while the person who does the copying (or downloading)  goes to work
each day and expects to get paid for it??

 In Josh's case, I know the work and time that went into his project,
"Wedding Without A Bride", and when you consider the numbers your "average'
Jewish Recording sells, then you must realize that whenever these recordings
are taken "free", the artist is not only deprived of his earnings, but also
of the capital with which he would produce his next CD.

The problem does not only rest with CDs, but with music books as well. The
irony is that I find this problem most often with the MUSICIANS. How many
times have we seen posting where musicians are looking for the music or
lyrics to a particular song?  These are songs that are generally available in
currently available music books that are being kept alive by the few
publishers who are still willing to produce Jewish music books....and you can
bet none are getting rich from their efforts.

Tara Publications and The Workman's Circle puts out a good selection of
Jewish music books. We have been carrying these books for at least 15 years.
If you think the numbers of Jewish CDs sold is small, then you definitely
don't know anything about Jewish music book sales.

Every week I receive calls from artists looking for the music or lyrics to
song. When I inform them that we either have a music book or CD with the
lyrics included, I am often asked it I could PHOTO COPY the information for
them.  The songs in question are not from out of print books or recordings.
Why should the 'artist' get something for nothing and then expect the
consumer to pay for it when the "artist" releases the same piece of music?

The fact of the matter is, that when it comes to Jewish music, the ONLY time
you are truly supporting Jewish music is when you PAY for it. I don't know
anyone in "J" music who is supporting themselves from the sale of their
music.  Most have other jobs, usually related to music, to pay for their
Jewish music "fix".

Is $16 or $17 too much for the consumer to pay for a little 'Yiddishkeit"??
No one is expected to work for free, so why should the musician be expected
to give his work away for nothing??

As a very wise young lady (who uses too much make up and wears VERY short
skirts) once said, "If I can't sell it, I'll sit on it!

Simon
Hatikvah