Re: bobruisk Yizkor Book

RFISCHER (at) mail(dot)hartford(dot)edu writes:

<< there's a song called "yoshke, yoshke" that has something about buying
horses
 in it. my youth klezmer band and maxwell st. klezmer band sings it to tantz
 yidelech. >>

Hi, Rachel!
That melody apparently had any number of incarnations, one of the best known
being "Reb Dovidl."  The klezmer band instrumental recording that made the
rounds on CD is called "Tantz, Yidelekh" and the version that the Klezmorim
(olevasholem) of California recorded in the early 70's was "Yoshke, Yoshke."
My band does a combination of the Yoshke and the Tantz, Yidelekh.  The best
part is when Alex puts down the fiddle an does some nice "kozatski" leaps
around the stage.  Although all of our backs are not what they used to be.
But that's another subject.
Cheers,
Lori
Maxwell St. and Jr. Klezmer Orchestra