Re: wedding music

Well, to be honest, I don't know much at all about Bulgarian music.  But I do
know that the choir's sound would be foreign to many Westerners' ears.
Thanks for the information.  Very worthwhile to know...

To all who can help, the songs I'm interested in using are "Nov Den",
"Kalimanko Denko", "Begala e Vena", and "Jano, Hubavo Jano".
Judging just from the translation of the titles provided, the second and
third songs are most likely not appropriate.  However, I really, really like
them.  :)

Also, if anyone knows a translation of Farewell to Shabbat, I'd love to get
my hands on that, as well.  Thanks everyone!  --Jerusha

> Probably will be able to help you on getting these translations. What songs
> are
>  you using? The texts (and consequently, the translations), to songs
commonly
>  sung by Bulgarian choirs are readily available. But point of information -
> you
>  said you are planning to use "very ethnic music" - these choral
arrangements
> are
>  really just extremely Westernized arrangements of barely recognizable
> Bulgarian
>  texts and melodies. In the early choirs, the singers at least came out of
> the
>  village and were encouraged to do fieldwork throughout their careers, even
> if
>  the arrangements did not really take advantage of their knowledge or vocal
>  integrity. However, the singers in Angelite are conservatory trained and
> have
>  little clue as to how "ethnic" Bulgarian song should sound. So its
ethnicity
> is
>  in question. (But, of course,  that doesn't mean that it won't be
beautiful
> for
>  you wedding. Just not truly "ethnic.")

Please take a moment to view...