Re: Jankowski Tsimbl / Alcock Sticks

<ro (at) panix(dot)com> wrote:

>Last summer I bought a Jankowski instrument, and he provided his
>style of sticks, which are very different from cimbalom or
>tsimbl sticks.   Several good tsimblists felt they were not
>appropriate for the Jewish sytle (which is not to say they are
>bad sticks, they're kind of neat.  Just not appropriate for the
>style).

Just a comment here---maybe the subject's too specific, but perhaps
it's of interest.  Such things as sticks can be individualized and
adapated, and that's OK, but as far as describing the _traditional_
use and style, that's another thing. If Jewish tradition on the
instrument is considered to be in the same areas as the Belarussian,
Ukrainian, and Rzeszowskie traditions (Galician, etc.), and certainly
Rzeszow playing seems to have derived from Jewish tradition before
World War I, then Jankowski's sticks are indeed more "Jewish." These
vary, but are bare wood; the Belarusian are longer and don't have the
holes for the index fingers that some of the Ukrainian and Rzeszow
hammers do.

The Hungarian variety, padded with cotton, is used in Romania and
Greece, though for the tzambal mic and santouri, they are usually
shorter.

Conversation on this list before pointed out the hand-damping
technique used in Ukrainian tsymbaly playing, which is different than
that used on the old Hungarian cimbalom without pedal, or Romanian
instrument. I can't say if there are any recordings, though maybe
there are some of the Ukrainian-Canadian players.

So if "Jewish" style refers to Galician, as with the recordings made
in Lviv, then short wooden sticks, without padding, would be
traditional. This isn't meant to knock Gillian's hammers, however
(incidentally, it sounds like she is making them like a Detroit
cimbalom maker, Alex Sagady, did thirty and more years ago).

Paul Gifford