Re: New member -- Hi all! (Question at bottom)

trombadeau --- does this mean you play trombone? you know, not one of the
klezmer bands that night had a trombonist... this made me sad :(

>I was at CAJE this year.

cool!

Yeah, Jack's pretty crazy. everyone who's curious, go buy the CD & read the
liner notes ;)

I sent him a letter that said they were really cool but the CD was a little
expensive at $18. He came back with "the CD is not overpriced,
especially...when you consider the light years it had to travel to get here."

you should try to see them another time. He really goes crazy up there. is the
violinist his son, or what?

>I did not
>hear Metropolitan Klezmer, but Eve and the gang are buddies, so I know they
>played up to their usual high standard. It was a kick seeing Ismail Butera
>play with Yale Strom.

Metropolitan is a very interesting-looking ensemble. Everyone is different.
'Twas a real kick it was to find out that the diminuitive woman behind the
drumset was actually the band leader. And could she play!! :)

>His group was quite interesting, and they did a nice
>range of repertoire. Yale has a good sense of Folk style, and an appealing
>stage presence. His wife, Elizabeth Schwartz, (I think that's it) is a hell
>of a singer.

oh yeah, that group... were you the guy in the front talking to her at the end?
they were pretty good.

>There were some other things I saw, including a big sing along with Debbie
>Friedman. For the sake of brevity, I will refrain from posting my impressions
>to the list, but anybody curious can Email me offlist.

why? it's jewish music...
Debbie Friedman, she kind of annoys me. Sure, she's a great composer and she
has a lovely voice but when she was playing in the arena (the arena with the
soundboard people FROM HELL) it pissed me off the way she told us when we could
sing along and when we could dance and when we couldn't do these things. She's
a prima donna. Of course she's under no obligation to be our buddy (cf. Sam
Glaser), but she could be a little nicer.

literally speaking, though, she IS a "prima donna." so whatever...

- Koby the Interactive Bear
currently playing: Pink Floyd "A Collection of Great Dance Songs"