From: owner-jewish-music (at) shamash(dot)org [mailto:owner-jewish-music (at)
shamash(dot)org]On Behalf Of
Judy Pinnolis
Sent: 28 July 2000 14:05
To: World music from a Jewish slant
Subject: Jewish Music in Shofar, Summer 2000, vol. 18, no. 4

Friends:
Let me bring to your attention a fine scholarly Journal, Shofar, that has a
special issue on Jewish Music. The special guest editor is Ofer Ben-Amots
and the issue is _Shofar_, Summer 2000, Vol. 18, No. 4.

Articles include:
"The Practice of Music as an Expression of Religious Philosophy among the
East-Ashkenazi Jews" by Judit Fregyesi<><>
"The Music of the Amsterdam Sephardim: A Musicological survey" by Anton
Molenaar<><>
"Beethoven and His Jewish Contemporaries" by Malcolm Miller**<><>
"Mahler as a Jew in the Literature" by Susan Filler<><>
"Music in the Inferno of the Nazi Terror: Jewish Composers in the "Third
Reich"" by Jascha Nemtsov and Beate Schroder-Nauenberg<><>
"Three Generations of Israeli Music" by Robert Fleisher (which is excerpted
from his book, Twenty Israeli Composers)<><>

There are also two poems by Schulamith Halevy<><>

**Malcolm Miller, who, by the way, gave a brilliant talk at the London
Conference in June which I loved greatly and found very helpful**

Shabbat shalom,
Judy

Judith S. Pinnolis
Reference Librarian
Coordinator for Publications and Training
Brandeis University Libraries
Goldfarb Library MS045
P.O Box 549110
Waltham, MA 02454-9110