Re: Lehman Engel: Chassidic Chant & Yiddish Song Books

>   I'll check the Beregovski collection
>myself, although it might be listed under a different name.

I can't find the title myself at the moment, either, but it is the third
recording on the CD.

>I assume from Eisenstein's description that the melody for "A DIN
>TOIRE MIT GOTT" is also attributed to Levi Yitzchak, although it would
>be interesting to determine when it was first transcribed.

The first transcription might have been in 1914 by S. Kisselhof--from this
recording. Joel Engel cites S[ussman] Kisselhof as the transcriber in Engel's
1923 setting. Both were active with the Society for Jewish Folk Music. As I
mentioned previously, Engel was one of the ethnomusicologists on the An-ski
expedition of 1913-1915. These are the very cylinders presently in the
Vernadsky Library in the Ukraine--also known as part of the Beregowski
Collection.

>One of the interesting textual matters is that Levi Yitzhok in
>Eisenstein's translation identifies himself as "son of Soroh".  Is
>Soroh a male name?  Or is he identifying himself only by his mother's
>name?

Yes, I believe so.

>If so, what is the precedent for doing so?

Don't know.

>Were the 2 Engels related?

Not to my knowledge.

>  It's interesting that the recent Robeson
>CD reissue credits Lehman Engel  I believe that Lehman Engel wrote an
>autobiography, but I don't own it.  I also believe that Lehman Engel
>conducted a series of revivals of Broadway musicals at the New York
>State Theater in Lincoln Center that I attended as a boy (none of them
>Jewish in content).

That's him. He probably wrote the arrangement for Robeson. He was very active
conducting musical theatre on BWY during the forties and fifties. Lehman Engel
was also the founder of the Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop, which, since
his death known is known as the BMI-Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop. Both
Alan Menken and Maury Yeston are former workshop students of his and are still
actively involved with the workshop. Yours truly is a member of this workshop
(on leave).

Bob, I have found transcriptions for voice and piano of several of Levi
Yitzchok's songs. They may be found in: Kotylansky, Chaim. FOLKS GEZANGEN. New
York: YKUF, 1954. And, yes, we have it here at the library.

I also wish to correct what I said yesterday about HABEN YAKIR LI. Levi
Yitzchok's version is NOT the High Holiday prayer, but paraphrases the prayer
at the end of the song and comments on it. The prayer is in Hebrew, the
commentary is in Yiddish.

Good Shabbes,

Eliott

Dr. Eliott Kahn
Music Archivist
Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America
3080 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
WK: (212) 678-8091
FAX (212) 678-8998