Re: Lehman Engel: Chassidic Chant & Yiddish Song Books

>>Thanks Victor,
>>
>>That is the piece.  I imagine that it is known to a number of list
>>members.  I have only 5 Yiddish song books (and it isn't in any of
>>them), so could you (or anyone else) list and comment on the major
>>collections of Yiddish songs.
>>
>>About the song, was the text written separately as prose?  When was it
>>written?  Did Lehman Engel provide the melody (chant) for the words or
>>just the arrangement?  I have not done an exhaustive search through my
>>library, but so far I haven't found any references.
>>
>>Bob
>>
>Dear Bob:   The full title is "A Din Toyre Mit Got".   The text is by, or
attributed to, Levi Yitzchok himself (1740-1809).  There is a version in
Vol.4 of the Anthology of Yiddish Folksongs by Vinkovetsky and others,
published by the Magnes Press in 1987, p.167. Though there it doesn't end in
the way it is usually performed, with the opening of the kaddish for Yamim
Noraim.

The song is discussed by Ruth Rubin (z"l) in her Voices of a People (1979)
p.234 and 248.  i don't think the composer of the music (if not Levi
Yitzchok) is known.

yours,  Victor