Re: Lehman Engel: Chassidic Chant & Yiddish Song Books

Elliott,

Thanks for that wonderful information.  I hadn't looked at
Eisenstein's work.  I believe that I must have some recordings of the
Yiddish version on my shelves.  I'll check the Beregovski collection
myself, although it might be listed under a different name.

I assume from Eisenstein's description that the melody for "A DIN
TOIRE MIT GOTT" is also attributed to Levi Yitzchak, although it would
be interesting to determine when it was first transcribed.

One of the interesting textual matters is that Levi Yitzhok in
Eisenstein's translation identifies himself as "son of Soroh".  Is
Soroh a male name?  Or is he identifying himself only by his mother's
name?  If so, what is the precedent for doing so?

Were the 2 Engels related?  It's interesting that the recent Robeson
CD reissue credits Lehman Engel  I believe that Lehman Engel wrote an
autobiography, but I don't own it.  I also believe that Lehman Engel
conducted a series of revivals of Broadway musicals at the New York
State Theater in Lincoln Center that I attended as a boy (none of them
Jewish in content).

Bob