Re: Rom in Austria and Germany

-- Budowitz Home Page: http://www.merlinms.dircon.co.uk/budowitz/

Hi Helen,

thanks for the Rom link. I met Ceija Stojka in 1992 at some gigs where we
played in Austria, and she's a very nice woman. There I also  became friends
with some Gypsies from Vojvodina who sometimes accompany her (living in
Vienna - Pera Petrovic). At one point Pera wanted me to be their manager
(blind leading blind), and I tried to help them by getting them free studio
time at a local studio and offering to produce a demo to promote the group
(they never showed up for the date). Anyway, Ceija has become something of a
symbol of Rom rights. One person who helped put her on the map is my good
friend, Ursula Hemetek, who works at the University of Vienna and researches
Gypsy music and invites me 4 times a year to  give klezmer workshops and
lectures. J.