Re: Jankowski Tsimbls

"Peter Rushefsky" <rushefsky_p (at) univerahealthcare(dot)org> wrote:

> thing.  I visited Paul Gifford last year and we compared a picture of
> Jankowski's tsimbls to pictures of old (some over 100 yrs old) tsimbls that
> Paul
> had taken in a music museum in Belarus and the stylings were very similar.
>
> Of interest to me is how Jankowski's instruments help inform us as to the
> range
> of sounds and textures that were used in klezmer in the last century.

Also one should consider the cymbalys made today in western Canada by
Ukrainian-Canadians. There is a book by Mark J. Bandera, published by
the University of Alberta, which discusses the basic Ukrainian
design. I suspect Jankowski's design is basically the same as the
Ukrainian-Canadian, with lengthwise braces mortised into the pinblock
ends, braces under the bridges which mostly don't touch the back,
which is thin. Most of the Ukrainian ones have five strings per
course. The older Romanian ones also have five strings per treble
course and have a similar bracing design.

I've taken apart one made in Winnipeg in 1929 and one made around
Bucharest about 1910, plus looked at drawings of village instruments
from Belarus. The basic structure is the same! I've seen many old
American dulcimers and Hungarian cimbaloms taken apart, plus a Swiss
Hackbrett, etc., and the designs of those are much different.
Since the instrument was introduced to Moldavia by the 18th century
and there wouldn't have been migration or communication with Galicia
that would inform and influence the instrument's design, one has to
assume that this basic design has existed since 1700 or so. There
were Jewish makers and it is reasonable to assume that they
influenced the design of the traditional instrument in that area.
Note, however, that the factory-built tsymbaly made in Belarus and
Ukraine haven't retained this basic design. I don't know what the
contemporary Ukrainian situation is, but I gather that few people in
Belarus can make the traditional design today, so Mr. Jankowski is
indeed a link to the past. But from what I've heard, there are quite
a few makers in Western Canada who are active too. Maybe someone
could even find someone in Rzeszow, Poland to make one. Those would
have a close Jewish connection. The "Lark in the Morning" instruments
appear to be made by the Doina factory in Bucharest prior to their
closing in 1990 or so. Personally, I don't have any experience with
them, but my friend Nicolae Feraru says that people avoided "Doina"
instruments----if they could, they would buy instruments from workers
in the factory who stole parts and assembled them at home. They are
tuned in the Hungarian manner, and today are mostly regarded as
substitutes for the big one.

Paul Gifford