Re: zither/tsimbl, radio show

on 6/12/00 11:14 PM, Huppert23 (at) aol(dot)com at Huppert23 (at) aol(dot)com
wrote:

> I think 'zither' is the most common guess I have heard, when people are
> wondering what a tsimbl is. I also hear 'xylophone' a lot. One time I
> overheard an old couple arguing about it, DURING a concert. She was pretty
> sure it was a zither. He was dead certain it was a xylophone, and he couldn't
> believe she was so ignorant she didn't know a xylophone when she heard and
> saw one.

I play in a duo with a hammered dulcimer player, we've had people ask one or
the other of us (or tell us) what it is WHILE WE'RE PLAYING...

Seth's acoustic music dictionary; tsimbl/dulcimer, also commonly mistaken
for autoharp, harpsichord, xylophone, zither, even banjo... I love how
people are always completely sure of what it is, proudly proclaiming to
their spouses, friends, and anyone else closely around that they are in the
know.

Most common response to finding out it's a dulcimer, "I thought a dulcimer
was played in the lap"...

Seth

--
Seth Austen
please visit me on the web at http://www.sethausten.com

Download a song (mp3) at www.mp3.com/sethausten

"All TRUTH passes through three stages.
First it is ridiculed.
Second it is violently opposed.
Third it is accepted as being self-evident."
            Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)