RE: Billy Joel -- Jewish Music?

> As for his music being "Jewish," that's a whole can of worms I > don't want
> to go near.

I have heard Billy say on more than one occasion that he is by no means a
religious man, despite songs that may seem to have religious overtones, such as
"River of Dreams" (which sounds close to gospel, music & lyric-wise), "Only the
Good Die Young" and "Travelling Prayer" (which is one of his lesser-known
earlier songs from either the "Piano Man" or "Cold Srping Harbor" album.

Personally, I like enjoy listening to the music & the lyrics for Travelling
Prayer, though  it might have also been interesting if he had put an English
translation of tefilat ha-derekh to music.

Steve Bergson, Librarian
Jewish Public Library of Toronto