Re: Billy Joel -- Jewish Music?

Eliott Kahn wrote:

> Seth:
>
> Thanks for sharing this information. And congratulations on a successful
> interview.
>
> It still remains a mystery to me why people are so fixated on claiming as
> "one of ours," artists who display no Jewish musical idioms or literary
> themes in their work. There are people who actually labor in the vineyards
> of Jewish music, art, literature, theatre, and dance, so why must we name
> the ones as "Jewish" whose work and interests display none of these
> characteristics?

In my opinion, this is the legacy of second-class citizenship
and Jewish self-loathing.  Any famous/successful Jew will be
lionized by other Jews who see in  him/her an idealized reflection
of themselves and the dream of "making it".

Of course, American Jewry is just another segment of the greater
celebrity-driven consumer culture.  Successful entertainment figures
are routinely claimed as "one of us"; a famous pop star validates and
enhances the audience's own cultural identity, however transparent
that identity  may have become.  (And in America, this identity  has become
for many, --through generations in the 'melting pot',-- transparent enough
as to be able to read the NY Times through it).

Go figure:  At Ratner's Delicatessen in NYC, there are door-sized posters
of those exemplary Jewish role models and embodiments of Jewish values,
organized crime figures Meyer Lansky and Ben 'Bugsy' Seigel.  What would a
Jewish parent tell their kid if asked who these men are?
How would he/she explain what their larger-than-life images are doing up on a
wall
in a kosher restaurant?

(The food is superb, by the way).

Wolf

PS:  Hankus -- Billy Joel may have had a sweet-tooth for Catholic girls
(Only The Good Die Young), but he attended  regular schools in Hicksville, LI,
dropping out in his sophmore year.