RE: Billy Joel -- Jewish Music?

Seth:

Thanks for sharing this information. And congratulations on a successful
interview.

It still remains a mystery to me why people are so fixated on claiming as
"one of ours," artists who display no Jewish musical idioms or literary
themes in their work. There are people who actually labor in the vineyards
of Jewish music, art, literature, theatre, and dance, so why must we name
the ones as "Jewish" whose work and interests display none of these
characteristics?

I love much of Billy Joels', Burt Bacharach's (and Felix Mendelssohn's)
work, but I would never in a million years classify any of it as "Jewish
music."

This in no way is meant to disparage their genuine Jewish feelings or
positive identifications as Jews. But as long as we insist on putting these
ethnic labels on works of art, we might as well try to be as accurate as
possible.

Eliott Kahn