RE: Yiddish Labor Songs...

Found this old unsent message in my computer.

It may be that the WC decided to put out the cassette version of the record
when cassettes became the preferred mode.  But, knowing how things are done
at the WC, I would bet that when the Bund applied for a grant from the
Workmen's Circle's Zuckerman Fund to make the cassette version of the
recording, the WC gave the money AND put their name on it, especially since
they wanted the product to be sold in their store.   The WC, however, had
nothing to do with the recording or the record or the product itself.  They
like to do things like that with anything and everything that comes their
way, legal or not, unless the producer makes a point of not allowing it.
 Many grantees have had fights with them over this very issue.   My mother
in law, the artist Tsirl Waletzky, had that problem with all the 30+ years
worth of book illustrations she had made specifically for the WC.   She is
the illustrator of all the Mlotek books and gives them a one time use of
her works.  They like to use her works in whatever they put out, but the
copyright belongs to her and not to them.   Since the NY Bund members and
funders tend to belong to the WC, it may be that no one challenged this (or
maybe they did, but it was too late to remove the label.)   Nevertheless,
it was a Bund product.

Here is the record info:

Yiddish Songs of Work and Struggle
Jewish Students' Bund Production
Yiddish Youth Ensemble
Directed by Zalmen Mlotek
With Susan Finesilver, Betty Glaser, Judy Gottlieb, Khane Kliger, Moishe
Mlotek, Moishe Rosenfeld, Dina Schwartzman, and Josh Waletzky
JS 11049

Reyzl