Re: Boehm & Albert systems

>"There can be little doubt that there were many advantages in the new system
of fingering not only from the point of view of technical facility,..."<

>Surely, the Boehm-system instrument represented an improvement over the
Albert-system horns which had been in universal use, but its advantages most
likely availed only to an orchestral player<

I definitely doubt that... let Jack Brymer, known as a rather passionate
"Boehmist", be "Mr. Chicken", I'll go for "Mr. Egg":
I played both systems professionally, and I can't find any technical
superiority in each of them. For a beginner, or a musician who makes his
living without playing sharps, the Boehm system is undoubtedly easier.
(Especially the low B flat and F' on a German clarinet can cause tears with
beginners...)
But for technically skilled players, the advantages and disadvantages of each
system disappear. Both offer their own wonderful possibilities and terrible
difficulties.
Of course, switching to another system demands some practising, and there has
to be a good reason for it. Maybe orchestra players showed more readiness to
test the new.

C.