Re: Boehm & Albert systems

The Albert system started fading in this country during WW1, The clarinet
section of Sousa's band, made up of predominately German schooled players,
were given 3 months to switch to the Boehm system. Sousa didn't want to show
anything that could be construed as allegiance to Germany. I did an interview
with a few of the clarinetists, who were in there 80's at the time I talked
to them, this was 15yrs ago. Sousa brought in one of the professors from
Paris conservatory to help them make the transition. This he did at his
expense. Needless to say this didn't make all the players very happy. These
Clarinetist were some of the best in the world and the highest paid. They
really didn't like the idea of changing how they played most of their lives.
They didn't like the French sound, the German concept at that time was night
and day from the French sound. But after a few months, most of the guys had
to admit they could play at lot of the parts easier on the French clarinet.
This event still reverberates through the clarinet world, as most American
clarinetists try to get the German sound on the French clarinet. One of the
mistakes people who pick up an Albert system make, is playing it with the
wrong bore mouthpiece. These older horns need a large bore mouthpiece to play
in tune. I was thinking about switching to the Albert for klezmer music, but
Sid Beckman sounds damn good playing on the Boehm. Most of the guys that play
Albert don't switch to sax on the gig either