Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1495

First of all, can someone explain what I'm doing wrong that my messages
don't have reply-to lines on them?

Second, the notation system...

For the melody, they use solfege letters.  A subscript 1 is used to
indicate lower octave,--could be changed to Eli's () for email purposes.

For the rhythm--I've only used it in 4/4, so I can't say for sure what
they do for other meters, but we should be able to make a reasonable
guess.  A long line (going through all parts, eg SATB, if applicable) like
a bar line separates measures.  A shorter line in the middle of the
measure (in choral music, a separate line in each part), a colon after
each beat.  When a beat includes >1 note, a dot divides the beat in half.
(don't know how they do smaller note values.)  Horizontal line is kind of
like a tie--indicates that the previous note is still being held.  Since
we don't have 2 sizes of vertical
lines on our keyboards, we could use | for the big one and ; for the
smaller.
Here's how Hava Nagilah would look if you wanted to say it was in 4/4
(I wouldn't, but for the sake of illustration...)

m : m ;-.si:f .m | si: si;-.t: l.si |
Ha- va  na--gi-la  ha---va  na-gi-la

or

m : m |-.si:f. m | si: si|-.t: l.si |
Ha- va   na-gi-la| ha- va   na-gi-la|

hmmm...I guess it's not quite as clear on a computer screen.

Becky