"Klezmer! Jewish Music From Old World to Our World" Book and CD

Shanachie Records proudly announces the release of "Klezmer! Jewish Music
>From Old World to Our World" (Yazoo 7017)the companion CD for Henry
Sapoznik's Schirmer book of the same name. Containing 22 meticulously
remastered tracks from 1912 to the present -- some never before reissued --
the new anthology, like the book upon which it is based, traces the rise and
development of Yiddish music from its European roots to its current
international renewal. Recordings include the orchestras of Abe Elenkrig, Abe
Schwartz and Alexander Olshanetsky, clarinet greats Naftule Brandwein and
Dave Tarras and contemporary bands such as The Klezmatics, Andy Statman and
Zev Feldman, Kapelye and Boiled in Lead.

About the book:

Klezmer music, the ebullient, centuries-old soundtrack of Eastern European
Jewry, sidestepped oblivion to become mainstream, and Klezmer! Jewish Music
from Old World to Our World is the first American telling of the tale.
Tracing its route from the small towns of Germany, Poland, and Russia to the
Golden Age of New York?s Second Avenue to the genre?s now-burgeoning global
popularity, author Henry Sapoznik presents the story of klezmer within the
larger framework of Yiddish and American popular culture and music. Through
an examination of theater, recordings, film, radio, and the depiction of Jews
in vaudeville and Hollywood, readers are introduced to the colorful
characters who shaped klezmer in its early years and to the surprisingly
diverse group of men and women carrying it on into the next century.
Sapoznik's seminal place in klezmer?s rebirth makes for paramount
play-by-play, illustrated by 63 rare photographs. Simultaneously personal and
historical, Klezmer! Jewish Music from Old World to Our World celebrates the
most dramatic comeback in the history of music.

ISBN: 0-0-2864574
Hardcover 341 pps
$29.95
CD: $15.00

The book is available online at http://www.amazon.com and http://www.bn.com
or, for an autographed copy, directly from the author at sapoznik (at)
aol(dot)com(dot)

Henry Sapoznik