Re: Last response from Lori on this subject

Khaverim:

        I've been assiduously avoiding this thread for a number of reasons not
the least being that as a white Jewish guy who has sung jazz, I'm not
entirely comfortable discussing issues of authenticity, as you can
imagine. But also because there are just too many open wounds, still
painful to the touch, and justifiable resentments operating here for a
dispassionate discussion. When a family member said to me that she was
tired of hearing complaints about the Holocaust (I was, needless to say,
appalled) I reminded her that this was not a long-ago grievance but one
whose victims were still very much alive. Which ended the argument.
        However, I do feel obliged to make one observation:
        Aufwind and Kol Simcha (I know, they're Swiss, not German, although
recent events suggest the difference isn't as great as you thought) are
both sincere and earnest, but their music is -- at its best -- cerebral
and a bit airless.
        The problem, I suspect, is a musical one, best summed up by a famous
Mark Twain anecdote. Olivia, his wife, was berating him for his colorful
language once and repeated a string of expletives that he had uttered
moments before. Twain listened intently, then replied, "Well, dear,
you've got the right words, but you just don't have the rhythm."

George Robinson

--
ARE YOU A FREELANCE WRITER?
Then you should be a member of the NATIONAL