Last response from Lori on this subject

Dear Lee,

Thank you for expressing yourself in a civil tone.

<< I'm glad you can separate the music you play from the "Memories of the
Fallen."
I would think that that particular kind of music would evoke exactly such
memories,
however. >>

That is certainly a misunderstanding.  I cannot separate it--it is the
essence not only of my music, but of my life.  I don't eat meat, I don't wear
leather because the cruelty of the holocaust so permeated my consciousness
from an early age that I live aware of an undertow of horror in the world,
and I play this music because it helps me revive the mystical soul of my
people when the body cannot be revived.  What I meant was that it is
difficult to discuss music when one's respect for the dead (in this case, the
respect that the German musicians hold) is being questioned, sort of in the
way that patriotism is questioned in front of the House UnAmerican Activities
Committee.  It was getting a little stifling in there.

<< I don't think the technical virtuosity of your band's musicianship or the
unique clarinetor violin solos, whatever, are the reasons why you're getting
paid the big bucks (in Deutschmarks). >>

Let's correct a misapprehension--we are not getting paid big bucks.  I would
be happy to get into those details off group if you like.  My comment was
meant to point out that, not only are Germans paying lip service to the
revival of klezmer, they are separating from their tax dollars to support it.
 Now try to get Congress to do the same.  We are busy burying our NEA, and
the Germans are spending tax dollars to bring in klezmer bands from America.
Catch you not the irony?

<< Now, I know a lot of Jewish performers whom I respect do tour Germany and
other relatively Judenrein parts of Europe. I can't begrudge someone
parnosse,
whether it's earned at simkhas or in the concert halls, but I think the
specific
ethnic character of the music we're talking about is essential to it, whereas
Shostakovich or Prokofiev or even Bloch could be said just to be basing their
music on Jewish themes. >>

I find it very comforting and touching to be invited to perform Jewish music
in the lands in which it was eradicated and where my presence a half-century
ago would have been the cause of my death.  It gives me hope in the evolution
of good and the recovery, I hope, of people from the demonic.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Lori