Re: JEWISH-MUSIC digest 1463

Hi, Having just scrolled through the whole digest I can't remember who
said perhaps it wasn't necessary to use  a label; people said "Jewish
music" and eevryone understood.
That's probably why we do need more labels now - while some people,
lamentably, do still seem to think "Jewish" is synonymous with
"Ashkenazi" , not nearly as many as before, and finding terms which suit
both precision-seekers and "lazy Americans" (!!) is always a challenge.
I think one of the reasons "Ladino" is more popular as a term than
"Judeo-Spanish" is simply that it's faster and easier to say. Ditto for
"klezmer" and "klez". It probably has simply developed a new meaning
now, as words tend to do over time - when they are used a lot - and it's
great that klezmer has become such a familiar word, since that means so
many people are involved with the music which has now come to be
associated with klezmorim!
Edwin, I think, coined "Ottoman Hebrew music" to describe synagogue
vocal adaptations of classical Ottoman forms. A quick-and-easy short
form for that? For "Old Occitanian troubadour compositions"?  for.......
Judith