Re: defining klezmer (and jazz and rock 'n roll)

But to relate the terms "jazz" and "rock 'n roll" (I think correctly, in
both cases) to sexual intercourse is to shed some light on the history,
roots, and expressive content of both musics--and their origins in, and
reception, by popular culture--i.e., to *teach* your listeners.  And those
origins *are* discussed in scholarly and even literate popular histories of
jazz and rock 'n roll.

To teach the origin of the word "klezmer" (and you have to do that, Itzhik,
on every CD, just as Mel Allen, olev hashalom--the great New York Yankees
broadcaster--explained the infield fly rule the first time it came up in
every ball game--because *someone* listening/reading might not know it) is
to teach something of its history, and its origins in Jewish religious and
folk culture.

--Robert Cohen